Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm losing my mind.

If you are for some reason on a quest to find the worst movie ever made, I highly suggest you watch the 1955 Australian film Jedda. I can't be sure, of course, but it might just be the very worst. And lucky me; I get to write half of my term paper on it! To give you an idea of it's horribleness, I am writing this blog while it plays on the screen next to me... there has been nothing to take notes on or transcribe for the past 15 minutes because NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. Some aboriginal dude is dragging Jedda through the jungle and some other dudes are trying to find them. That's basically it. Oh man, I think someone just died. Hm.

I know racism in general is no laughing matter, but in this movie it so is. Let me just say that one of the main characters is in blackface, and every once in a while when he sweats it starts to come off. Also, there is this part where a white dude shows up at the ranch, and sees that everyone is crying. He asks one of the aboriginal field hands what's going on. The aboriginal guy says, "Missus lost the baby."

The white guy goes, "You mean the white baby?"

"Yes."

"Oh. That's bad!"

Like, seriously?!


Also, I learned form one of the several scholarly articles I had to read about this mess that they actually spray painted the dirt red in one of the scenes, so it would look like they were in the Northern Territory when really they were like in somebody's backyard in Sydney. Spray paint.